HOW TO PROMOTE A PODCAST
Promote your podcast to the world!
Podcasting has grown exponentially in the past year but for podcasters this poses the question: how do you promote your podcast to attract new listeners?
How do you market a podcast?
Apple says they have over 2 million podcasts on their databases as of April 2021 so in order to stand out, you need to create a strategy to promote your podcast effectively to grow your podcast listeners.
Podcast marketing can be tricky to master especially if you’re not sure where to start. Lucky for you, we have put together a guide of 30 easy ways to promote your podcast to take your show to the next level!
How do I promote my podcast on social media?
We’re so lucky to have the amazing social networks that we do. There’s just so much creativity and fun to be had with promoting a podcast on social media. Share rich media, soundbites, video, images, teasers, evergreen — anything you can think of ahead of the episode going live.
But we’re not going to stop here. We’re going to break podcast promotion into two parts: pre-live promo and post-live promo.
Pre-live refers to the promotion you do BEFORE your podcast airs.
Post-live refers to the promotion you do post production AFTER the podcast airs.
4 Ways to promote your podcast before the episode is live
Promoting your podcast doesn’t start when your first episode airs. Rather, you want both new and old listeners to be in anticipation or excitement for your new or first episode.
Following several years of experience in podcasting, here are some easy and practical tips to on how to promote your podcast for free (even if you haven’t recorded any episodes)!
- Tease your next (or first) episode 24-48 hours ahead of release time. Simply share your podcast artwork in your Instagram/Snapchat story, Twitter Fleets, Youtube/Facebook stories.
- Record 3-5 podcast episodes before you launch.
- Be a guest on other people’s podcasts or invite a guest to your podcast.
- Consider having a co-host on your podcast. They promote, you promote: it’s a win, win for all.
5 ways to promote your podcast after the episode is live
There is so much content being produced so it’s easy for people to forget your last episode so here is what you should do to promote your podcast AFTER it airs. here are some tips:
- Encourage your family to share your new episodes.
- Cross-promote relevant podcasts to help other podcasters discover you.
- Start an email subscription list and send out emails with new podcast episodes.
- Be a guest on other people’s podcasts or invite a guest to your podcast. People already listening to podcasts are the easiest group to get listening to your show.
- Network with other podcasters and join groups on Facebook, Reddit or Clubhouse.
Most importantly: Experiment and measure
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Learning how to promote a podcast is a trial and error process. Whenever you take steps to promote a podcast, it’s important to try new things and measure their results. In fact, you should run multiple tests to find the tactics that work.
Finding the right podcast marketing mix requires testing a few different strategies to see what works best for your show. It takes creativity, resilience and analytics before you see the results going in the direction you want them to.
Over time dig through your podcast analytics to see when people listen to your episode. If you see a trend within your own audience, experiment to see if it’s true.
Along the way, iterate on the strategies that routinely drive new subscribers and keep your eyes open for new ways for an audience to discover you. If you follow our recommendations above, you’ll have the right foundations on how to promote a podcast and grow your listenership.
Hopefully, that’s given you plenty ideas and tips for drawing up your own audience growth plan.
If you need tailored 1-to-1 help on how to promote your podcast…
Book a free consultation with us today and a member of our team will be happy to help you.
ClubHouse has finally released their new chat feature dubbed ‘Backchannel’. My hat? Tipped My mic? Flashed My messaging? Direct. After we unintentionally leaked their feature